I’m your long-serving Hobsons Bay Councillor for Strand ward, and I love living in Melbourne’s best local government area.
I’m proud to be putting my hand up to continue serving you for a sixth straight term.
I get a kick out of helping people and doing my bit to preserve and enhance our lovely patch of paradise by the Bay.
I represent Strand ward which takes in the townships of Williamstown, Newport, Spotswood, South Kingsville and part of Altona North.
Having always represented this area, I have a good grasp of the needs and problems of our lovely part of town including development pressure, traffic congestion and roads and footpaths that need fixing.
I have been a Councillor at Hobsons Bay Council for over 17 years. In 2002 I became Australia’s first Maltese born female mayor of a municipality. I was elected for the fifth straight term in October 2012,and in 2013 I completed my second term as Mayor.
I’m fiercely Independent and believe in transparency and consulting widely. I made this the hallmark of my mayoralty. I love working with others to get results; my collaborative style suits the three-councillor Strand ward system.
My overall priority will be to continue to plan for the long-term, to adopt policies that best protect neighbourhood character and to maintain the village feel of our suburb.
Meanwhile, here is a sample of my key priorities for the coming term, many specific to Strand ward:
- No ramps on the south side (Spotswood) of the Western Distributor tollway
- No ‘skyrail’ to replace the level crossing at Wiliamstown North railway station
- Keeping Nelson Place meter parking free for residents
- Pushing for the best design for the massive Dons Smallgoods housing development site
- Fixing poor roads and footpaths, especially in Spotswood and South Kingsville
- Installing recycling bins at beaches and parks
- Making Hobsons Bay plastic bag free — the Boomerang Bags project is a great start!
- Involving the community more in deciding the city’s Budget
- Increasing the rate rebate for pensioners
- Re-introducing ward meetings.
You’ll find more on some of the big issues, like Western Distributor and Rail Crossing Removals, at FAQs.
Learn more about what I stand for and how-to-vote to re-elect me.
I welcome your feedback and questions. Call me on: 0409121018 or fill in the Contacts form on my website.